Twaweza, works on enabling children to learn, citizens to exercise agency and governments to be more open and responsive in Tanzania, Kenya and Uganda. At Twaweza, we undertake effective public and policy engagement, powerful media partnerships, and global leadership of initiatives such as the Open Government Partnership. The safeguarding of a civic space where we can freely operate is essential to our work, and a coherent understanding of the forces at play that constrain – or protect – that space is an essential first component of the safeguarding. This consultancy is the first step in a longer-term exercise to measure and describe the status of civic space in Uganda.
Objective and scope
The overall purpose of this assignment is to compile a succinct review of available evidence, international and national (datasets and reports) on the status of civic space in Uganda, according to five dimensions (freedoms of information and expression, rights of assembly and association, citizen participation, non-discrimination/inclusion, and human rights/rule of law).
The study will use the Transparency & Accountability Initiative document “Improving the measurement of civic space” as the basis, tailoring the exercise as per guidance from Twaweza.
Specific activities and outputs
- Gather and review the internationally available data sources and narrative reports relevant to Uganda (with a focus on the trends in the last decade). (Time estimate: 5 days)
- Source and review nationally available data sources and narratives; select in dialogue with Twaweza. (Time estimate: 4 days)
- Synthesize the international and national information according to the five dimensions in a tabular form, with clear references. (Time estimate: 2 days)
- Create a narrative report to accompany the table summary, with overarching trends (Time estimate: 4 days)
- Assess the feasibility of compiling the results into a score or index, outlining the pros and cons of this approach. (Time estimate: to take place within the 4 days of task 4, above)
- Output 1: Combine 3, 4 and 5 above into a succinct final report (main report not more than 20 pages, excluding annexes) (Time estimate: 1 day)
- Output 2: Write a blog-style narrative on the exercise and main findings (approximately 3-4 pages in length, conversational language) (Time estimate: 1 day)
Total estimated days needed: 17
Read the full terms of reference.
Qualified and Interested consultants (Uganda Nationals only) should submit brief proposals (4 pages max) by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com so as to reach not later than Wednesday March 22, 2017.
- Terms of Reference | 362.95 KB
You might also like...
- Positive deviance consultancy for Twaweza Uganda (22 Sep 2016)
- Mixed-method research consultancy for Twaweza Uganda (24 Aug 2016)
- Can you help us assess whether what we do works? (24 Aug 2016)
- Evaluating public agency in Kenya (5 Jul 2016)
- Evaluating an exciting new initiative to instigate public agency (17 Jun 2016)
- Request for Proposals: Managing Uwezo Uganda 2015 Annual Learning Assessment Data (7 Oct 2015)
- A deep dive into Twaweza (25 Apr 2017)